Common Causes of Adult Acne
Hey Honey, wondering why you are past your teenage years, yet still struggling from adult acne? You are not alone! Many adults in their 20s, 30s, 40s and beyond still deal with breakouts. While the culprit may not always be easy to narrow down, knowing the common causes might help you find the solution you are looking for.
1. Touching Your Face – No matter how many times you wash your hands throughout the day, they still carry germs, bacteria, and oils! You are willingly adding these to your face when you touch it.
Tip: Touching your face is a subconscious habit for many people; make a conscious effort to keep your hands occupied, even if it’s as simple as keeping a stress ball at your desk. Always make sure to wash your face morning and night, we love Don’t Miss a Spot Honey Foam Cleanser for a squeaky-clean finish.
2. Consuming A Lot Of Dairy – Eating more dairy than your body can tolerate often leads to cystic acne on the chin, jaw, and neck.
Tip: Keep a food diary if you are struggling with this type of acne by writing down what you eat on a day-to-day basis. You will start to notice trends of which foods cause reactions and which don't.
3. Being Under Stress – First Date? Work Deadline? College Exam? Any time your body is under stress it is more susceptible to acne flare-ups.
Tip: Relax, you will do great! The best solution for stress is a good nights sleep. Put on a facemask, we recommend the Uncover Detoxifying Mud Mask to refine pores, take a hot bath, and get 7-8 hours of sleep every night.
4. Not Washing Your Face – We get it honey, you had a long day and the last thing you want to do is wash your face. But taking the 5 extra minutes to do so will be a skin saver.
Tip: If you are too tired to wash your face right before bed, do it after dinner. That way you are still getting the makeup, debris, and bacteria from your day off so your skin has time to breath while you rest. We love Come Undone Face & Eye Daily Makeup Remover to end our day.
5. Fluctuating Weather – If the weather can’t seem to make up it’s mind, which often seems to be the case, the back and fourth of warm and cool days can leave your skin confused. Acne is often a result of unbalanced skin.
Tip: Slightly adjust your skincare routine depending on the weather that day. If it’s cold and dry, moisturizing your skin is key, we love 24Seven Honey Day & Night Cream to keep our face and neck hydrated at all times. If it’s warm out, your skin may be more likely to produce more oil, using a cleanser to combat this particular issue is your best solution. We recommend Don’t Miss a Spot Propolis and Honey Cleansing Foam for oily or acne prone skin.
Adult acne can stem from a range of different internal, environmental, habitual, or health factors. Knowing common causes may help you discover where your acne stems from and work on finding the right solution for you. Skincare professionals such as estheticians and dermatologist are also wonderful resources for advice and day-to-day skin care. You got this, honey!
- Tags: Skincare